Tuesday, February 5, 2013

It is good to be back

It looks like my "maternity leave" lasted a little longer than I thought it would, but I am so excited to finally be back.

SO first the big news... my little Bonnie Rebecca was born on January 21, 2013 at 10:14 am.

She was 8 lbs 5 oz, 21 inches, and has just the sweetest personality.  She seems to just make every person she meets fall in love with her sweetness.  

Everything did not go as planned when it came to getting my sweet Bonnie here.  Since she is my 5th child, I really thought we had this whole labor and delivery thing down.   With my first, Emma, my water just broke at home and I was in labor.  We headed to the hospital and she was born 6 hours later.  The whole thing went really smooth and I learned that I really like epidurals.  I had plans to go natural (or at least try it) and the contractions weren't that bad, but then I started uncontrollably shaking.  As soon as I had the epidural the shaking stopped.

Since Emma was 9 lbs 2 oz and born 3 days before her official due date, and I was measuring really big, with my second pregnancy my doctor induced me a week before my due date.  I really liked being induced, so with my next 2 deliveries we also did scheduled inductions.  I had really great experiences with being induced.  Me being induced went a little something like this: My in-laws would come over early in the morning to watch the kids and my husband and I would head off to the hospital.  They would check me in, get my IV started (up until having Bonnie, for me the IV was always the worst part of having a baby), and Scott and I would put on a movie.  About the time the movie was over (lots of pausing when nurses would come in and out needing stuff) I would get my epidural and then my doctor would come by to break my water.  Then I would usually fall asleep a little and about an hour after they broke my water I would have the baby.  With Bryce it was only one push and he was out (although Bryce was born during a snow storm and I had to sit there waiting for about 30 minutes for the doctor to get there because of the bad roads).  Anyway, that is what I had planned in my mind when I went in to have Bonnie.  Check in,  IV, watch movie, brake water, little nap, one push, holding baby by around 1 pm.

Bonnie's delivery went a little something more like this: We checked into the hospital around 7:15 am.  They got me back to my room and started all that fun stuff and the IV.  The IV was of course terrible.  Somehow I have never had a nurse be able to just put an IV in me.  They always have to stick me a few times and on their first try they wiggle the needle around a little trying to succeed on their first try, then at some point something happens to make me squirt blood everywhere.  Pretty much it is awesome.

Okay, so we get the IV, and in the room next to me there is suddenly a ton of CRAZY screaming.  Think the most over-acted on TV dramatization of childbirth you have ever heard.  So one of my nurses hooks me up to the belly monitor things while the other one goes to see if they need more help in the other room.  As the nurse is hooking me up she makes a face and moves the monitor around a bunch trying to find where the baby's heartbeat is.  She finds it, but not where it should be.  Then the other nurse also goes to help in the other room because I guess they can't even get this poor other women into the bed so they can check her.  Once they get things squared away in the other room, my nurses return to tell me my doctor is coming to deliver the baby for the screaming woman and then he is going to come and do an ultrasound on me to see what is going on.

It is now just before 9:30 and in walks the doctor.  He does the ultrasound and says something along the lines of  "Well the baby is transverse and we have a couple of options."  Did I mention that this was all happening on my 31st birthday...  A birthday that I'm pretty sure has been cursed ever since my 17th birthday.  Seriously, something always goes wrong on my birthday.

So, back to my options.  First option was to have a c-section (I was not a fan of that option).  The second option was for the doctor to try to turn the baby, but with where she was and where the cord was, there was every possibility that it wouldn't work and when they broke my water the cord would drop "and that would be bad" and we would have to do an emergency c-section  (Okay, really not a fan of that idea.  I have a very easy going doctor so when he says "and that would be bad" I am pretty sure he was downplaying it).  Or the third option where I go home and give it a few days and hope she moves back into the proper head down position on her own.  But in the meantime, if I were to go into labor on my own or my water were to suddenly brake (because that is how it happened with Emma) and she was still in the wrong position, then things could go wrong very quickly.

So as much as I was not a fan of it, especially after giving birth to 4 children with relative ease, I chose the first option.  Plus I thought "Hey I already have a ton of stretch marks, why not add a big old scar to it."  It was 9:30 am when they told me my options and Bonnie was born at 10:14 am.  It was CRAZY.  I felt completely overwhelmed and although I am pretty sure they were telling me what was going to happen and what to expect I really think my mind shut off and all I could hear was Charlie Brown's teacher.  It all happened so fast and as they were wheeling me out of my room to the OR I remember saying to my husband, you might want to get the camera, your daughter is about to be born.  I think he was in class with Charlie Brown too.

In the OR, the anesthesiologist gave me a spinal block, which is not fun, but I still don't think it was as bad as the IV.   And my anesthesiologist was really great.  Then they laid me down and waited for everything to go numb.  It was weird because, a lot like a good epidural, I could still feel everything, it just didn't hurt.  So they put up the blue sheet thing and there was a lot of pressure and pulling and then there was a baby.  They brought Bonnie around the curtain really quickly before they whisked her off to the nursery to check her out.   The whole thing actually made me very nauseous and I just had to close my eyes and try to go to a happy place (kinda like when you are starting to feel sick in a car).   I had to lay there for what seemed like forever trying not to throw up.  I really have do idea what all was happening at that point.  But they closed me up and took me back to my room.   I got there just before Bonnie and Scott.  I finally got to hold her, but I was so out of it that I only held her for a minute... then I threw up.

I spent the rest of the day feeling nauseous and one of the many things they put in my IV made me super itchy.  By the end of the day I was very puffy from the many many bags of saline they gave me, I had a lovely little rash all over my face.  But I had a very sweet baby to cuddle .

(oh my goodness, I look SO hot!  Can you see the puffiness and rash.  AWESOME!)

Due to the c-section Bonnie and I got an extra day in the hospital.  Which we really needed, plus all my kids had been sick back at home so I was happy to give them an extra day to get better before I brought a new little baby home.  I was a little worried they kids wouldn't get to come visit her in the hospital, but all the fevers broke by Tuesday night and on Wednesday night Emma finally got to meet the sister she had been waiting years to hold.

The recovery has been really hard.  I HATE taking it easy and not being able to just do things.  But everyone keeps telling me that if I take it SUPER easy for 3 weeks and the still pretty for 3 more the recovery will go a whole lot faster.  (2 weeks down, 4 weeks to go)

And just for fun, here is a list of things that suck about recovering from a C-section.  If you think of one I missed feel free to add it in the comments.

-Coughing, sneezing, or laughing hurts so bad.
-Going from sitting to standing or standing to sitting.
- Walking, especially up stairs. I feel about 100 years old taking my little baby steps everywhere.
- Picking things up off the floor.  Pretty much if it is on the floor it is staying there for a while.
-Trying to do laundry or dishes.
- You can't vacuum and I am going to add sweeping to that.  I swept my floor the other day and about an hour later my incision hurt so bad.
- Getting dinner on the table (at least in our house that means a lot of walking back and forth).  Those first few days I thought I rather just not eat.
-It hurts to lay on your side and forget about sleeping on your stomach.
- I didn't get Bonnie's nursery all done yet and I was totally planning on being able to be feeling better and get it done by now.
-There is this glue residue on my stomach that I just can't figure out how to get off and it hurts to much to scrub it.

(this little girl is totally worth it!!)

I am glad to be back to blogging.  I missed you guys.


  1. Welcome back! You were missed. She is a doll.

  2. She's beautiful! I'm 31 weeks along now and obsessed with all things birth-related. So I'm wondering, if you are glad you went with the C-section after going through the recovery or if you wish you'd tried another option first. Glad you are back! Can't wait to see the nursery!

    1. Valerie, I would have emailed you back, but it shows you as a non-reply comment. But yes I am glad I did the c-section. With a fairly good chase that her cord could drop (also know as a prolapse cord) I think I made the right decision. If the cord drops it gets squished by all the stuff trying to come down the birth canal and the baby's oxygen supply is cut off until she is born. So even though it has been harder on me and I wasn't happy about it, I still feel it was safest for her.

  3. Oh that was quite a marathon post to read. I hope you are feeling better and enjoying your growing family.

  4. Congratulations! WHOA, what a birth story. That is amazing and scary. I'm so glad that you and baby are okay. You are a beautiful mother and have such gorgeous children. Just leave that glue stuff on there and let it fall off on its own. And I love your baby and your blog!

  5. Great job!! Laura, you are an awesome woman, mom, wife, sister, daughter..........all of that and more!

  6. Welcome, Beautiful Baby Bonnie!

    I was so happy to see pics and info about you and your little angel. Though I never had a C-section, I can relate to being a tad upset about not having that perfect Gerber-baby birth experience you imagined. (My full-term 8lb. Noah ended up in the NICU for 11 days due to a collapsed lung.) But holding, snuggling, breathing in that baby scent is SOOO worth it, yes???

    Let that housekeeping go, say yes to the casseroles, and just take care of Bonnie and yourself!

    Blessings to you all -- and welcome back!
    Elizabeth in Indiana

  7. Congrats Laura! I had a c-section with my first, so I can relate to ALL of this. Seriously. I will tell you that the scar will not be bad at all, you probably won't even notice it in about a year or two...I don't see mine at all anymore. So don't freak out over that, you'll be surprised how nicely it will heal.

    Congrats, my friend, and glad to see you're back at it!

  8. Congrats! Bonnie is beautiful! Hope the rest of your recovery goes well. I had 4 c-sections, make sure to get up and walk and your recovery will go alot better. Circulate that blood. LOL Anyways, enjoy your new bundle of love! :O)

  9. She is beautiful!! Congratulations and welcome back!

  10. i love her...and you! how have i not seen you guys yet?! we need to make the trek up north, so i can snuggle that sweetness!


  11. Congratulations on the birth of your precious little girl! I love the white puffy blanket you have pictured here with Bonnie. I have been looking for something just like it for our soon-to-arrive grandchild. Would you mind telling me where you found that blanket? Thank you!


    1. Connie, A wonderful friend and neighbor made the blanket for me. Isn't it pretty? It is very soft too. I picked out the yarn at Joanns and she actually used the pattern that came on the package to make it. If you know someone who knits I bet you could do the same, or look on etsy.

  12. You are an incredible woman and mother to go through all that. As much as the recovery is hard be thankful you do not have a spinal headache on top of it all. I have had a total of 4 epidurals. My first three were great no complications and I had great labors. However with my 4th I developed a spinal headache from the epidural. Think of the worst headache ever and magnify it 10 times. There was nothing they could really do for me. I was ordered some pain medication and drink plenty of coffee. The caffene actually helps. I had the blasted thing for 3 weeks. The only position I could be in where I didn't hurt was laying down. But try doing that with 3 older ones and a nursing newborn. I am so glad that you and Bonnie are healthy.

  13. So proud of you, Laura, and so grateful for our beautiful little Bonnie!

  14. Jobs at your Home, Internet Online Jobs like data entry, copy pasting, Form Filling, Facebook Sharing Jobs, Clicking Jobs, Web Surfing, Google Jobs and Much More Earning Systems Online

  15. Congratulations Laura! Bonnie is beautiful, and it's great to have you back x

  16. Congratulations!

    If I ever had to have a C-section I hope it would be like yours. Seriously. Last minute. I think if I knew I was going in for a C-section I would fixate on it. Having it unplanned would give me little time for thinking it over. :)

    While healing let the little things go. Take as much time as YOU need. Everyone is different. ;)

  17. Sweet little Bonnie :)

    My third son ist born on January 30th :)
    My third C-section :(

    I know the pain...

    Best wishes to all of you from Germany