Do you like my new chair?
I have deemed it the Cinderella chair. There are a few reasons why.
First of all it has an ugly step sister.
Seen in the background here with Bryce. (no Bryce is not the ugly step sister)
Second it looks pretty a little bit smudged and dirty (glazed).
I used the Martha Stewart Black Coffee metallic glaze and I LOVE IT. Sadly you can't really see it in the pictures, but it sparkles. Opening up the glaze it is like looking into a pool of melted dark chocolate with tiny bits of gold in it. And yes there was a part of me that wanted to drink it, it looked that good. But I didn't, because that would be gross.
and the third reason I deemed it the Cinderella Chair is because fabric I used on the new seat is Prince Charming by Tula Pink.
Do you see the frogs? I know the Frog Prince is not in Cinderella but... Prince Charming is.
SO there you have it. The Cinderella chair. I can't wait to complete more of the room it room it goes in. Currently my front room looks like an extension of the DI or possibly something out of an episode of Hoarding if it was a special crappy furniture hoards edition. Seriously, in my little formal living room there are currently two sofas, two love seats, two chairs, an end table, and large folding table and a buffet. (And none of that is new or nice looking) There was another chair and end table but I recently resigned them to the storage dump that is my bedroom.
All in good time. Someday it will all look awesome and until then my kids will have fun climbing over all of it.
Are you wondering how I turned this chair
into this chair?
I will give you are REALLY quick how to.
Start by turning the chair over and using a screw drive to unscrew the seat from the base. Then I used a flat head screw driver to remove the old staples and take all the GROSS smelly old fabric and foam off of the seat base.
YEAH... that is what is looked like. (Just be glad you can't smell through your computer. Some how when I took the cover off this chair smelled exactly like the DI and really old dirt. like REALLY old dirt.)
Then I took the board that all of that was on, and used it as a template to cut out new foam and then I added a thin layer of batting to make it have soft edges. Then I cut out my fabric, pulled it taunt and stapled it on.
To fix the main chair part I started by putting painters caulk in any cracks or dings. Once that was dry I sanded those spots smooth and took the base outside for quick layer of white spray paint primer. I didn't worry about getting a full even coat. I mostly sprayed where I knew I would be sanding it later because I knew I wanted the little bit of white to show through. Then I applied 3 to 4 thin coats of Martha Stewart's Plumage color. Then I used a sanding sponge to sand away the "distressed" places. Then I used the metallic glaze and a very cheep thin brush to dry brush on the glaze and I used an ever-so-slightly moist paper towel to wipe some of it off. Then just reattached the seat and fell in love.